Friday, February 7, 2014

Free Domains for Developers ~ .tk by Michael Droz

Before I get started on a new project I like to have a real domain to deploy to. Previously, I would go to GoDaddy.com (lame) and purchase a domain for < $10.00, but recently I came across the .tk top-level domain for Tokelau, a territory of New Zealand located in the South Pacific that allows you to register a domain for up to 2 years for free. My father, Michael Droz Sr., warned me that nothing in life is free, but I am trying to change my profligate ways and pinch pennies whenever possible.

I have registered the domain philanthropyrunner.tk as a test. I have the domain pointed to a Ruby on Rails server hosted by Rackspace. So far the domain is redirecting to ads that I am sure the owner of .tk is making a nice bit of coin serving up on newly registered domains. At this point I consider the experiment a failure - if not a scam. I will update this blog if the domain actually starts to redirect to my server. 

At this point I am cautiously optimistic...

UPDATE: After 15 minutes of registering my .tk domain it has started to redirect to my dedicated ip address. I am calling this a success. Free domains for developers are real thanks to .tk ~ awesome! 


No comments:

Post a Comment